Friday, October 16, 2009

Devotion: God's Word At Work

Before each of my English classes I write a short Bible verse at the top of the white board. Because it's in the direct line of sight of the students, they can't miss it. Even those students who aren't interested in hearing about Christianity can't help but read it. I'm sure some students read it more than once during the class.

In the middle of one of my classes I was teaching about past tense. After a few examples and some practice, I asked if anyone had any questions. One student raised his hand. "I'm wondering about the meaning of what you wrote at the top of the white board," he said.

"Could you please explain it to me?" Of course he was referring to the Bible verse. On that particular day the Bible verse was "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" (1 Timothy 1:15b).

To explain the verse I spoke about how all people are sinners and how we are unable to save ourselves from the punishment we deserve for our sins. I told him Jesus was the Son of God, and that God loves us so much He sent Jesus to die on the cross to suffer the judgment we all deserve. In the midst of teaching past tense, I was given an opportunity to share the Gospel with the whole class.

The Word of God is indeed living and powerful. The Holy Spirit used it to touch the mind of one student. It stimulated his curiosity and prompted him to ask about its meaning. As a result, every student in the class heard the Gospel.

In the book of Isaiah God says, "So is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." God's Word is powerful. God sends out His Word to do His work and it succeeds. When my students read God's Word on the white board, God's power works within them.

God's Word is not only beneficial in teaching and strengthening us as we study it, but it is also an effective tool for us to use in reaching out to people who don't know Jesus as their Savior. Sometimes we want to witness to someone, but we don't know what to say. Our words are often weak and stumbling. But God's word is sure and strong.

THE PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for giving us Your Word. Teach us how to use Your powerful Word as we reach out to the unbelievers around us. Amen.

Biography of Author: Dennis Denow is a missionary with LCMS World Mission and the husband of Monta Ekwanit Denow, director for Journey Into Light, the ministry center for Lutheran Hour Ministries located in Bangkok, Thailand. There, LHM ministers through community radio, Equipping the Saints (ETS), Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC), print, Internet and Gospel text messaging. The staff also conducts numerous children's activities and makes presentations in government schools.

To read more daily devotions please visit the Daily Devotions page or subscribeto receive daily emails.

No comments: